Tajín Chipotle BBQ Sauce
- 3 ancho chiles (11⁄2 ounces), seeded
- 2 small Chipotle Peppers in Adobo (or use 1 for less heat)
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 3/4 cup + 1 Tablespoon packed dark brown sugar
- 1/3 cup Low-Sodium Chicken Stock
- 2 Tablespoons Tajín Clásico
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 1/4 teaspoon Garlic powder
- 1 1/4 teaspoon Onion powder
- Kosher salt, to taste
- 2 1/2 lbs Bone-In, Skin-On Chicken Thighs
- 2 tablespoons Vegetable Oil
- Kosher Salt
- Black Pepper
Make the Tajín Chipotle BBQ Sauce:
- Bring 2 2⁄3 cups of water to a boil. Remove from heat and add the ancho chiles. Set aside for 20 minutes so chiles soften.
- Mix ancho chiles in the soaking liquid with the chipotle in a blender on high speed for 30 seconds. Once the chile mixture is smooth pour the mixture through a fine-mesh sieve back into the saucepan pressing on any solids left to make sure you get out as much flavor as possible.
- Whisk in Tajín Clásico and the rest of the sauce ingredients and bring to a simmer over medium-low heat. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 30 minutes. Adjust the salt to taste.
- Let the mixture come to room temperature and store in a sealed container. Use right away or store in the fridge for up to 2 weeks—the flavors develop a little more if made a day ahead.
- Reserve 1 cup of the Tajín Chipotle BBQ sauce to baste the thighs.
Grill the Chicken Thighs:
- Toss the chicken thighs in vegetable oil, add a pinch of kosher salt, black pepper and toss again.
- Preheat grill to 400 degrees, then place the thighs on the grill skin side up. Cook for 5 minutes, then flip and cook for – 5 more minutes. Brush thighs generously with the BBQ sauce. Let cook for 3 minutes, then flip. Repeat 1-2 more times, and cook until the internal temperature reaches 165ºF. Serve with the remaining BBQ sauce.