- 3 pounds pork country-style ribs, boneless
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 3 medium jalapeno chili peppers, halved lengthwise
- 2 teaspoons yellow mustard
- 8 ounces tomatoes, canned, drained
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 5 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
- 1 large onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 cups reserved cooking broth
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- Additional water, if needed to cover pork
- 4 tablespoons water
- 3 large navel oranges
- 1 medium grapefruit
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon Tajín Clásico (or Tajín Clásico Low Sodium)
- Combine salt and pepper then sprinkle onto ribs.
- Heat oil in a large skillet. Cook ribs until browned on each side.
- Transfer to a slow cooker or roasting pan with a lid.
- Deglaze skillet with broth.
- Add broth, vinegar, jalapenos, onion, tomatoes, sugar and spices to the pork. Add water if needed to cover pork.
- Cover and cook until pork is very tender. (On high for about 2 hours in the slow cooker or in the roasting pan, covered at 350F for about two hours.)
- Strain pork mixture, reserving the cooking broth.
- Shred pork into small pieces using two forks. Keep the onions, tomatoes and jalapenos mixed with the shredded pork.
- Combine cornstarch and water to make a slurry.
- Pour 2 cups of reserved cooking broth into a sauce pan and bring to a boil. Whisk in cornstarch slurry. Return to a boil and stir until thickened. Use as much of the thickened broth to moisten the pulled pork as desired.
- Taste and adjust seasoning with salt and pepper as needed.
- Peel, seed and coarsely chop the oranges and grapefruit.
- Whisk together honey, vinegar, 2 tablespoons / 30 ml of the citrus juices, and Tajín.
- Add fruit pieces.
- Place a 1/2 cup of the pork on a hamburger bun and top with salsa.
- Optional: Replace the hamburger bun with a flour tortilla or your favorite sandwich roll (ciabatta, Kaiser, Submarine or Hoagie).