- 1 cup of leftover turkey meat, shredded with two forks.
- 1 cup of duck fat, ghee or any oil of your preference that has a high smoke point
Note: 1 cup of shredded turkey will make approximately 4 to 6 tacos.
Chefs Note – depending on how much meat you have left you will need to make enough mojo accordingly, but just know that the ratio is for every one cup of meat you need two cups of mojo.
Yield: makes about 1 cup Ingredients for Mojo
- 4 to 6 garlic cloves (depending on size), peeled and separated
- Pinch of salt
- 1⁄2 cup fresh bitter orange juice or fresh lime juice with fresh orange juice combo
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- Crush together garlic cloves and salt with a mortar and pestle, make a paste, and put into a medium bowl.
- Stir in fresh bitter orange juice or fresh lime juice and fresh orange juice, olive oil, and Tajín. Combine.
- Fold the mojo into all of your shredded turkey meat. Note: Please remember you are frying in batches.
- In a large, heavy-bottomed pot, melt the lard or duck fat over high heat, and wait until forms a wave. Add the turkey, in batches, stir often, until the meat turns light golden brown then lower the heat to medium, (lower the heat as needed to prevent the meat from over darkening or burning). Turn off the heat. (At this point, you can store the meat in the fat overnight if desired. Reheat over low heat to re-melt the fat and warm the carnitas).
To make your tacos
- Pico de gallo
- Pickled onions
- Pomegranate seeds
Heat up the tortillas, place the turkey carnitas on top and add desired toppings.